I’ve done and deployed some work on smaller quality of life upgrades in Herodonia MMORPG 2021. Now I’m coming back with a quick summary of what has been done in the last several days.
List of changes
- Tutorial land – demo island created for guest players. Fulfilled with npcs, creatures and quests. You’ll be able to experience playing Herodonia without actually being registered. It should be pretty straightforward for new players
- Text animation for dealt damage, experience, self-healing. Actually – I was pretty sure that something fundamental was missing, but I couldn’t come up with that for a long time. And… Eureka – just a simple numbers changed everything. That is a must for this type of games, no matter if you want to be different from others
- Conditional gates – permission to enter certain areas only after fulfilling certain criterias. Be it quest completion or minimum level. Has been used on the tutorial island for directing a player into fulfilling missions
- Reward chest functionality – the most basic type of quest, just finding a box with an item. That was also missing! So – used on tutorial island as well. I hope that it won’t be overused on the mainland though.
- Animated tiles on map – finally water is flowing through the land! I used plugin made for Phaser, hope to get this rewritten as something own sometime in the future. Why? Because it has some flawns related with loading map in bunches
What might be next thing to appear in our MMORPG 2021?
I hope to get all of those done as fast as possible. Sometimes I need to refactor a part of code or rewrite a small thing which has been created in the early days of Herodonia, but evolved into something way bigger than anticipated. Hopefully that will be not happening in the nearest future too often 🙂 .